- 3/4 cup room temperature butter
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- vanilla/rum/almond/peppermint extract - your choice (I used 1 tsp peppermint)
- food coloring - optional
- In a mixing bowl, with the paddle attachment on cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the egg yolk, followed by the whole egg. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Add few drops of the extract you're using followed by the flour, a spoonful at a time.
- Take the dough out of the bowl, cover in plastic foil or put it into a freezer bag and chill it for at least 30 minutes in the fridge. If you want to have it in two colors divide the dough in tow balls or more and color each ball at a time my mixing the food coloring gel into the dough, gently kneading it.
- You can easily froze it. Leave it about 30 minutes on the kitchen counter before using it.
- To make the candy cane kiss cookies, divide the dough into 24 balls. Place them on cookie baking sheets. Lightly press down with the back of the spoon. Put the sheets back in the fridge for another 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the oven to 375F.
- Bake the cooled cookies for about 12-13 minutes. Cool slightly before topping them with the candy cane kiss and completely if you decide to do other decorations.
slightly adapted from Taste of Home