A fast, easy recipe for gluten free vegan double chocolate black beans brownies using rolled oats. A healthier brownie when the chocolate craving kicks in.
I can’t believe it took me so long to talk about brownies.
I love brownies. Oh, but these are not your regular brownies.
These are double chocolate flour-less black beans gluten-free vegan brownies.
I can see you rolling your eye. Pretty long name, right?
I think it was about a year ago I first saw a brownie recipe that called for black bean. My first thought was “huh”, really, black bean brownie? Love it or hate it?
I was kinda in the middle. More on the curious side.
So I made my first batch shortly after. It was good, but my heart was still beating for the regular brownies. You know what I’m talking about. High in sugar, fat and low in nutrition.
These are different.
They do have sugar. 2/3 cup to be exact.
But they are high protein and fiber from the black beans, gluten-free oats and chia seeds.
Oats are known to be a good source of protein and fiber, helps lower your bad cholesterol and reduces the risk of heart disease, stabilize blood sugar for those fighting diabetics.
Black beans are very high in fiber and numerous vitamins and minerals. Black beans make a complete protein when paired with brown rice, which is often why they are so commonly included in a vegetarian diet. They are very good for your digestive tract, the blood sugar regulatory system, and the cardiovascular system.
Now the double chocolate mystery.
In addition to the 100% unsweetened cocoa chocolate I used unsweetened cocoa for a richer chocolate-y bite.
After hearing all the benefits of these brownies, you’re probably wondering how they taste like.
Let me tell you, you can hardly taste the difference. They are just a little sweet, with a deep chocolate taste, light, moist and above all good for your health.
Now, go in the kitchen and make these double chocolate brownies. You won’t regret it!
A healthier brownie made with black beans, gluten free oats and 100% cocoa chocolate. A sweet treat when the chocolate craving kicks in. So good, you may not want to share.
- 1 can 15.5 oz black beans or 250 grams cooked black beans
- 3/4 cup (60 grams) unsweetened cocoa
- 2/3 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 cup Gluten free Bobs Red Mill rolled oats
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sunflower oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup Chia seeds
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 oz Ghirardelli 100% cacao unsweetened chocolate bar
- Heat the oven to 350F. Line a 11X7 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Grate or finely chop the chocolate and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the chia seeds with the water until becomes gelatinous.
- Drain and rinse the beans and place them in the food processor with the oats, sugar, cocoa, oil and baking powder. Mix until it becomes a think paste.
- Add the chia seed mixture and pulse a couple of times.
- With a spatula incorporate the chocolate and pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares.
I would have loved to add some instant coffee to the mixture. More than half of the brownies were eaten by kids so I didn't. They freeze very well. Just leave a couple of minutes at room temperature before eating.
If you liked these double chocolate brownies you may also like
Sending love your way,