Espresso brownies with espresso frosting – Rich, sweet, chocolate brownies with a strong coffee flavor covered with silky smooth espresso frosting
Chocolate for breakfast. Or chocolate with your 3 o’clock pick-me-up coffee. I’ve been there. Trying to keep my eyes open early in the morning while making myself a cup of coffee and there it was, that leftover piece of chocolate tempting me before I even pour the steaming coffee and have a first sip.
Or mid-afternoon when all I want is to lay down to take a nap. I need a pick me up, usually a sweet treat to keep me going until the end of the day.
Today I have the perfect recipe for those days. Say Hello to espresso brownies.
Rich, sweet, chocolate-y with a strong coffee flavor. Keep away from kids, this a grown-up treat. To make it even more grown-up you could add a little bit of coffee liquor to the frosting or even a tablespoon or two to the brownie batter.
This recipe was originally published on Jen’s blog
Rich, sweet, chocolate brownies with a strong coffee flavor covered with silky smooth espresso frosting
- 5 1/2 ounces unsalted butter (1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons)
- 4 1/2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon coffee extract
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1-2 tablespoons cold black coffee
- 1 cup powder sugar
- In a small saucepan put the butter and chocolate and place over medium heat. Stir until melted and smooth. Leave to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 11x7 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add the 3 eggs and the sugar and start mixing on low-speed slowly increasing to medium until the eggs become pale and thicken. Without turning the mixer off, stir in the warm chocolate.
- Add the coffee extract and espresso powder followed by the unsweetened cocoa and all-purpose flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool completely before frosting them.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter, espresso powder and cold coffee in a mixing bowl slowly adding the powder sugar. If needed add more cold coffee or sugar until you reached the desired consistency.
- Spread over the cooled brownies. Cut and enjoy!
If you liked these espresso brownies, you may also like
Sending love your way,