- 6 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark-brown sugar, packed
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground clove
- 1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsulfured molasses
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Mix in spices and salt, then eggs and molasses. Add flour mixture; combine on low speed.
- Divide dough in thirds; wrap in plastic. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a floured work surface, roll dough 1/8 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes.
- Transfer to ungreased baking sheets (i used silkpats for my baking sheets); refrigerate until firm, 15 minutes.
- Bake until crisp but not darkened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let cookies cool on wire racks, then decorate as desired.
*recipe from Martha Stewart