I had a hard time deciding what to name these bars.
Or just Oat Hemp Chia Seed Fruit Gluten-free Vegan Energy bars?
That would have been too long, right?
Ever since I shared the recipe for dried fruit and seed bars last year I’ve been wondering how I can make them even better, and by that I mean, less guilty.
I’ve been doing a couple of variations and although these ones may not be the guilty-free bars since the dried apricots had some sugar added to them are definitely the best energy bars!
They are soft and chewy, perfect for breakfast on the go, in your lunch box, after an intense workout or as an afternoon pick-me-up.
Leaving aside the little sugar from the apricots, these bars are filled with chia seeds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, flaxmeal and unsweetened coconut.
Hemp seeds contain more of the beneficial amino acids than proteins such as milk, eggs or meat.
Hemp is a complete source of protein and is easily digestible.
Hemp seed contains almost seven times more omega-3 fatty acids than fish. It also provides an option for those unable to eat gluten, meat, sugar and milk. It is a good addition to a diet for those concerned about avoiding carbohydrates.
Have you ever tried hemp seeds?
Healthy snack bars - oats, hemp and chia seeds, flaxmeal and dried fruit packed for a boost of energy. Gluten free. Vegan. Super easy.
- 8 oz unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup dried fruit (I used half cranberries, half apricots)
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup unsweetened dessicated coconut
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal + 1/2 cup water
- Heat the oven to 400F.
- Line an 11X7 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the flaxseed meal with the water and wait few minutes until it becomes gelatinous.
- In a medium size bowl mix all the ingredients with a wooden spoon or spatula until just combined.
- Spoon it into the prepared baking pan and bake for 25 minutes or until set and soft to the touch.
- Leave to cool completely before cutting into bars.
- The bars can be frozen in an air-tight container for up to a month.
Sending love your way,