Homemade Oreo crust, Rolo candies, caramel and chocolate ganache –these ooey gooey rolo bars are a chocolate caramel heavenly delight
I’m having a hard time writing today’s post.
All I want is to get up and make myself a new batch of these homemade Rolo bars.
I was just thinking one day, how awesome would be to have a ginormous Rolo candy, with lots and lots of caramel filling.
What it seems like a silly thing started to haunt my mind. Why not?
I saw lots of recipes for homemade peanut butter cups, why can’t I make homemade rolo candy.
It can’t be that hard!
I have to be honest and say I didn’t even try to make rolo candy.
The idea vanished being replaced by the image of these rolo bars.
An image I could not get rid of.
So I tried to turn it into reality.
And I’m about to make them again.
I don’t think there are words I know of to describe how insanely good are these bars.
The bottom layer is very much alike Oreo cookies giving the bars just a slight crunchy bite.
Then you have a layer of chewy chopped Rolo candies, homemade caramel, more Rolo candies all topped with melted chocolate.
I’m telling you, do yourself a favor, go to the store buy the ingredients and make these Rolo bars.
You’ll have everyone at your feet 😉
Homemade Oreo crust, Rolo candies, caramel and chocolate ganache – it’s a chocolate caramel heavenly delight
- 6 tbsp (85 grams) unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2/3 cup (80 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (20 grams) cocoa powder (I used special dark cocoa powder)
- 30-40 Rolo candies halved
- 8 tbsp (113 grams) salted butter ( I highly advice to use store-bought salted butter and not replace it with unsalted butter and a pinch of salt)
- 1 X 14 oz can (397 grams) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) sugar
- 4 oz chocolate chunks
- 1 tbsp milk or heavy cream (I used milk)
- Heat the oven to 350F. Line an 8X8 baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a food processor place the butter, sugar, flour and cocoa powder. Pulse a couple of times until it forms a soft ball.
- Take the dough out and press it evenly in the prepared baking pan.
- With a fork, prick the crust several times and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- When cooled spread half of the Rolo candies over it.
- In a medium size saucepan melt the salted butter over low heat.
- Add the sugar and the condensed milk.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly (making sure it doesn't burn or you have to start all over again) and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes until the mixtures thickens and changes color.
- If you want a darker color, a toffee color, keep cooking it for 3-4 more minutes (I did it the first time, but preferred the light color in contrast with the caramel color in the Rolo candies)
- While still hot, pour half over the crust and Rolo candies, add the rest of the Rolo candies and cover with the remaining caramel.
- Leave to cool completely at room temperature.
- Melt the chocolate chunks in a microwave safe bowl. Add the milk or heavy cream and mix well. Pout over the cold caramel and leave to set before cutting the bars.
If you like this Homemade Rolo Bars recipe you might also like
Sending love your way,