Few years ago, while enjoying some time with my family in Romania and skyping with my husband we decided we both need a vacation. Few days later I was packing my stuff and instead of coming home I took the first flight to Mexico.
We decided upon an all-inclusive resort. We did nothing the entire vacation. Just enjoyed each other, the sun and the Mexican dishes. It was such a wonderful experience that the year after that we went on a Caribbean cruise. Sun, new places, new dishes and the best French toast ever.
This Orange Cranberry bread reminds me of those trips. It’s like a whole breakfast in one slice of bread. All-inclusive!
If you’re type of breakfast is a slice of toast with jam and a glass of orange juice, than this bread is for you!
This Orange Cranberry Bread combines the sweet and refreshing citrus flavor of freshly squeezed orange juice and orange zest with the tartness of frozen cranberries, sweetened with just a bit with honey. It’s egg and dairy free, the only fat coming from a little vegetable oil.
The idea of this bread came after Shulie (foodwanderings) asked me if I tried my Cranberry sweet buns with frozen cranberries. I haven’t (yet) but I was so intrigued by the idea of using frozen cranberries in a yeast bread I just had to try it.
I have to tell you, I was afraid the cranberries would make a big sticky mess once they were defrosted. I’m happy to tell you that wasn’t the case.
During baking, the cranberries melted and formed these sort of jam pockets. It was like eating bread with cranberry jam while enjoying a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.
This Orange Cranberry Bread combines the sweet and refreshing citrus flavor of freshly squeezed orange juice and orange zest with the tartness of frozen cranberries, sweetened with just a bit with honey.
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) bread flour / a high protein flour
- 2 tsp ( 1 sachet/ 7 grams) dry yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- orange zest from 2 medium oranges
- 2 tbsp honey (add maple syrup for vegan version)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 1/2 cups (420 grams) bread flour
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup frozen cranberries
- 1 tbsp flour
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup bread flour with yeast and lukewarm water. It will become a thick paste. Leave at room temperature for a couple of minutes (5-7) until the mixture foams and have the consistency of a sponge.
- Add the orange peel, salt, honey/maple syrup, vegetable oil and orange juice. With the dough hook on start mixing slowly adding 3 1/2 cups bread flour.
- The dough should clean itself from the sides of the bowl, will be elastic and very smooth.
- In a separate bowl mix the frozen cranberries with 1 tbsp flour, making sure they are well coated.
- Take the dough out of the bowl, place it on a working area, flatten it with your fingers and add the cranberries on top of it. With your hands, start kneading the dough until all the cranberries are incorporated.
- Place the dough ball into a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let at room temperature until doubled in volume.
- Punch it down and shape it into a log. Place it into a greased bread pan (2 pound bread pan), cover and let rise again.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 375F.
- Bake the bread in preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes. Let cool slightly in the bread pan before removing it.
- Slice and enjoy!
Sending love your way,