- all-purpose flour can be used instead of whole wheat flour if you don’t have any on hand
- if you have just whole wheat flour you can add the same amount to the food processor and pulse it a few times. the texture is going to be similar with the pastry whole wheat flour
- if you’d prefer a soy-free scone add dairy butter instead of vegan soy-based butter
- sugar in the raw can be substituted with white granulated sugar
- instead of cultured coconut milk you can use the same amount of buttermilk or milk plus 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- fresh cranberries can be substituted with frozen or dried ones
- 2 cups (240 grams) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar in the saw
- 5 tbsp Earth Balance vegan butter
- grated zest from 1-2 oranges
- 1/3 cup chopped cranberries
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp cultured coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Place the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and butter in a food processor. Pulse a couple of times until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Alternatively you can rub the butter and the dry ingredients with your fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the orange zest and cranberries and mix well with a spatula. Slowly add the cultured coconut milk and mix until just incorporated.
- With floured hands take the dough out, shape it into a disc and press it onto the scone pan or place it on a baking sheet and cut it into 8 wedges.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden-brown and soft to the touch, about 12-15 minutes.
*adapted from Cupcakes and Muffins