You know what day it is today? It’s the first Monday of the month, that means it’s time to party!!! Chocolate Party!!
It may come to no surprise to you this month secret ingredient is peppermint/candy cane. I have developed an addiction to this combo : Fudgy Brownies with Candy Cane Frosting, Candy Cane Chocolate Cake, Candy Cane S’mores, Candy Cane Brownie Cookies, Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies
Chocolate Party is a monthly party hosted by me and some amazing bloggers. Each month we decide upon a seasonal ingredient to use in our chocolate goodies.
Our recipes will be shared on the first Monday of each month and you can submit your own recipes until the end of the month. You can submit up to 3 recipes each month.
To make sure everyone is having fun, there are a few rules you’ll have to follow.
- Your recipe must contain the two given ingredients.
- Your recipe has to be published during the current month.
- Please let everyone know about our party by including the Chocolate Party logo and a link to the Chocolate Party page
If you’d like to know what are we up to for the upcoming months, join the Chocolate Party Facebook group.
Scroll to the bottom of this post for other Chocolate-peppermint treats.
I’ve made this cake twice last week. First time I made it i went with a rectangle pan and cut it in squares and the second time I used a 9 inch round pan. I thing it looks prettier in the round version.
The cake is light, with a peppermint touch from the Peppermint Mocha creamer, with a texture between cake and brownie. The chopped peppermint bark on top makes a wonderful accompanied to the soft cake. You can use chopped peppermint candy or even candy cane if you prefer.
The only trick to this cake is to cut it into wedges while still warm and top it immediately with the bark/candy. If you don’t cut the cake before adding the topping you’ll have (or at least I had) a hard time cutting it later without part of the candy getting pushed into the cake
Peppermint Chocolate Cake - Light chocolate cake flavored with peppermint Mocha creamer and topped with peppermint bark for a fancy Christmas treat.
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) butter, diced
- 1/2 cup Coffee Mate Peppermint Mocha Liquid Creamer
- 3 tbsp (15 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (120 grams) all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 4 oz peppermint bark or peppermint candy chopped
- chopped candy cane (optional)
- In a medium sauce-pan add the butter, Peppermint Mocha Creamer and the cocoa powder and cook over medium heat until the butter is melted and cocoa dissolved. Leave to cool completely.
- Heat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9 inch spring-form pan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add the flour, sugar and baking powder. Stir in the egg, buttermilk and peppermint extract.
- Slowly pour the chocolate mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for about 33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Take the cake out of the oven, leave to cool for about 10 minutes and cut it into wedges while still warm. Top with the peppermint bark or chopped candy and leave to cool completely before serving.
- Just before serving sprinkle some chopped candy cane on top (optional)
Have you tried the Coffee Matte Creamers? Which one is your favorite? Leave a comment below and you might win.
Coffee Mate Nestle has graciously accepted to offer 5 liquid coffee creamers to one lucky winner.
To enter the giveaway leave a comment below telling which creamer is your favorite or which one you’d like to try
Giveaway is opened to US residents only. You have until December 12th at 11.59 pm EST to enter.
I was given two bottles of Coffee Mate Peppermint Mocha liquid creamer to use in this recipe. Opinions are all mine.