- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 1 pkg rapid rise yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 oz crumbled feta cheese
- olive oil for brushing
- Sift the flour in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add 1 1/4 cups water.
- Add yeast and stir in just enough of the flour a little at a time to make a sponge (about 1 cup of flour), then cover with plastic wrap and let sit until the sponge starts to get bubbles, about 20 minutes.
- With the dough hook on start mixing adding the remaining 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp salt and walnuts.
- Knead until the dough cleans itself from the sides of the bowl.
- Take the dough out and place it in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm area to rise.
- When doubled in volume take the dough out and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the dough out into about a 15x18 inch rectangle, and scatter the crumbled cheese over it. Roll up the long side, and cut into 16 rolls.
- Place cut side up on a foil lined baking sheet, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place in a warm area to rise, and turn on the oven to 400 degrees, with the rack set at the center position.
- When the rolls have almost doubled in bulk, brush them with olive oil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned and done in the center. Cool on a rack until warm and serve!
Adapted from Garlic and Sea Salt http://garlicandseasalt.blogspot.com/2011/05/whole-wheat-roquefort-and-toasted.html