- I used almost half whole wheat flour and half all-purpose flour. You can use only all-purpose flour or only whole wheat flour. keep in mind that a 100% whole wheat bread is going to be dense and heavy for its size.
- Ricotta cheese can be substituted with cottage cheese, just make sure you drain it well.
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) lukewarm water
- 4 tsp dry yeast
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) olive oil
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 4 cups (480 grams) whole wheat flour
- 3 cups (360 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup (360 ml) lukewarm water
- In a bowl mix together 1/2 cup lukewarm water, yeast and 1/4 cup flour. Leave it until the yeast dissolves and lots of bubbles appear at the surface.
- When the yeast is proofed add the olive oil, ricotta cheese, salt and the rest of the flour.
- With the dough hook attached start mixing slowly adding 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cup lukewarm water, depending on how wet is your cheese.
- Knead until the dough is soft and elastic and comes clean from the sides of the bowl.
- Take the dough out, place it in a oiled bowl, cover and leave it at room temperature to rise until double in volume.
- When risen, divide the dough in two balls, shape them into logs and place in oiled bread pans (9X5 inch)
- Leave to rise again until it reaches the edges on the pans.
- Heat the oven to 375F.
- Bake the breads in preheated oven for ~40 minutes.
- Leave to cool and enjoy!