The idea for these rolls came from a bread machine cookbook but since I don’t own one I had to adapt it to my stand mixer. Instead of separating the wet ingredients from the dry ones making sure the yeast doesn’t touch the water i started by mixing some water with the dry yeast and adding one by one the rest of the ingredients until the dough becomes elastic, soft and cleaned itself from the sides of the bowl.
I also kept the recipe vegan using water instead of milk and did not brush the rolls with egg wash before baking.
The sauteed onions make these rolls a little sweet and full of flavor.
If i change something about this recipe it would be using 3 onions instead of 2 and probably divide the dough in more than 12 balls, maybe 16 or even 20 small ones.
Let’s turn the oven on and start baking
Yellow onion dinner rolls
Start by finely chop 2 onions
In 1/4 cup olive oil saute the onions until they become soft and slightly golden.
In your mixer bowl mix 1/2 cup lukewarm water and 1 package dry yeast. Leave to room temperature until bubbles appear.
Add the cooked onions (oil too) to the yeast mixture
Add another cup of lukewarm water, salt and pepper
start mixing slowly adding 4 cups all purpose flour.
and keep mixing until the dough cleans itself from the sides of the bowl. If needed add more flour or water.
Place the dough into a greased bowl and leave to rest at room temperature until double in size.
When risen, divide the dough into 12 balls, put them on a baking sheet and leave them to rest again until almost double.
Slash the top before baking and bake them in preheated oven, at 375, for about 20 minutes. Since they have not been brushed with egg, don’t wait until the top browns or they get burned.
Yellow onion dinner rolls
- 2 finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 package dry yeast
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- salt, pepper
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and saute the onions until soft and light golden
- In a bowl mix 1/2 cup lukewarm water with the yeast
- When the yeast starts bubbling add the onions along with oil
- Add the rest of the water, salt and pepper and slowly mix in the flour
- If needed add more flour or water. Mix until the dough is smooth and elastic
- Leave the dough in a grease bowl to double in volume
- When risen divide the dough in 12 small balls and let them rise until almost double
- Heat the oven at 375F.
- Bake the rolls for about 20 minutes
© Roxana's Home Baking, All Rights Reserved
Thanks for reading and for taking the time to leave a comment.