Some might say Labor day is the end of summer.
Some will consider September 21st the last day of summer.
Last weekend I found some beautiful zucchini at the farmers market.
Browsing through a cookie cookbook I found a recipe for zucchini wedges. They looked and sounded pretty good so I decided to give them a try.
But of course I had to put my twist on them.
Instead of sesame seeds I added sunflower seeds.
I also added some grated Parmesan and while mixing the ingredients I realized the mixture was a little on the dry side so I mixed some flax-egg.
They turned out better than I expected.
They were soft and a little on the chewy side. I served them with a little tartar sauce but some horseradish sauce would work as well if you like it.
If i have to change something it would be the amount of salt.
I thought the grated Parmesan cheese would add enough salt and I only added 1/4 tsp.
I was wrong. Usually I’d make the recipe again before sharing in on the blog but this Saturday I have a dentist appointment so I’ll skip farmers market and I doubt they’ll have some in two weeks from now on.
Shredded carrot might be a good substitute also.
Zucchini wedges - soft and a little on the chewy side, packed with rolled oats and sunflower seeds, these wedges make a great addition to your lunch/brunch.
- 1 stick (113grams) butter
- 2 generous cups of grated zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2/3 cup (80 grams) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (20 grams) grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp flaxmeal
- 6 tbsp water
- Add the zucchini and the butter to a frying pan and, over low heat, cook for few minutes until soften.
- Leave to cool slightly.
- Heat the oven to 375F. Grease 2X6 inch cast iron pans or a bigger one.
- In a small bowl mix the flaxseed meal with the water. Stir and leave aside. Soon it will have a gelatinous consistency.
- When the oven reaches the desired temperature, that should take about 10 minutes, start measuring the dry ingredients.
- In a big bowl add the flour, oats, Parmesan, sunflower seeds, salt. Add the softened zucchini and the flaxmeal.
- Spoon the mixture in the prepared cast iron pan(s) and bake in preheated oven for about 23 minutes. (they will continue to cook in the pan for few more minutes)
- Leave to cool completely before removing and cut them into wedges.
Sending love your way,