Simple brown rice and chicken skillet – this comforting and satisfying dish is full of flavor, plus it takes one hour from start to finish.Kitchen is my favorite room in the entire house. If I could, I would bake all day long. I love trying new recipes, especially if it’s a dessert. But as much as I love baking, doing the dishes is my absolutely least favorite chore. In my perfect world I have an assistant who cleans up after me while I bake away from morning to dawn. Or a self-cleaning kitchen. Of course, in my perfect world desserts have zero calories. But that’s a story for another day.
Today is about reality. Today is about juggling house chores, extra school activities, family time and maintaining this blog. Today is about simplifying at least one week night dinner. A meal that doesn’t require you to dirty every piece of cookware you have while stressing your stove does not have enough burners to finish dinner in time.
Today is about one easy dinner recipe using one pot. From store to oven and on the table, skillet dinners are a life saver.
This rice and chicken skillet takes about 1 hour from start to finish.
You start by sautéing the onions in a little bit of butter. Add shredded or small diced carrots and cook for few more minutes. Add the rinsed rice, chicken broth and cook for 10 minutes.
Top with marinated chicken and finish the meal in the oven.
The rice is not mushy at all, it’s full of flavor from the garlic, cumin and curry powder. The chicken, although skinless and cooked on top of the rice does not dry out at all.
My favorite marinade for this chicken skillet is lemon, rosemary and garlic. Juice and zest from 3 lemons mixed with 1/4 cup olive oil, chopped rosemary, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Keep in mind that both rosemary and garlic are strong flavors and you don’t want to overpower your entire dinner.
Toss all the ingredients in a zip lock bag, add the skinless boneless chicken tights and leave in the fridge for few hours, until you’re ready to make dinner.
Of course, you can use your favorite chicken marinade, but stay clear from over powering ones.
Simple brown rice and chicken skillet - this comforting and satisfying dish is full of flavor, plus it takes one hour from start to finish.
- 3 onions, finely sliced
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2/3 cup small diced carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 4-6 skinless boneless chicken tights, marinated for few hours
- For the chicken marinade I used juice and zest from 3 lemons, 1/4 cup olive oil, finely chopped rosemary, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Toss all the ingredients in a zip lock bag, add the skinless boneless chicken tights and leave in the fridge for few hours, until you’re ready to make dinner.
- In a 10" oven-safe skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they start to soften.
- Add the diced carrots and cook for 2-3 more minutes until the onions are softened and begin to brown.
- Add the broth, garlic, salt and pepper, spices and rice.
- Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven at 375F.
- Remove the skillet from the stove and arrange the chicken tights over the rice mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, in preheated oven, for 35 minutes until the broth is absorbed and the chicken is cooked all the way through. (The chicken is cooked when it has an internal temperature of 165°F)
- Serve immediately