The idea of these cupcakes came from one of my favorite cookbooks “Chocolate and Coffee Bible” While thumbing it, looking for new chocolate-y goodness I stumbled upon a recipe for chocolate cupcakes. Now chocolate vanilla cupcakes are always welcome in my kitchen, but the thought of coffee chocolate cupcakes was haunting me.
For these cupcakes I advice you to use the best dark chocolate you have. I’ve used Green and Black’s organic dark 85% chocolate. It had a subtle bitterness which paired beautifully with the instant coffee in the cake. I also added some instant coffee to the frosting. Addictive!
- 2 oz dark chocolate
- 1 1/4 cup (150 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (125 grams) raw sugar
- 6 tbsp (85 grams) room temperature butter
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) fat free milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp instant coffee (powder) (espresso powder works just as well)
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) room temperature butter
- 2 1/4 cup (270 grams) confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp instant coffee (powder) (espresso powder works just as well)
- 1 tsp (or more if needed) cold coffee (liquid)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 12 cupcake cups with paper liners.
- Chop the chocolate and melt it in a heatproof bowl set over a pot with simmering water. Make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water. When melted set aside.
- In a mixing bowl sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl mix the coffee powder with the hot water.
- Add the butter, sugar and melted chocolate to the flour mixture and, with the paddle attachment on, start mixing, slowly adding the milk and the eggs. In the end add the coffee.
- Divide the batter between the 12 prepared cups and bake in preheated oven for about 17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting them.
- To make the frosting, add the butter to a mixing bowl. With the whisk attachment on, whip the butter on medium to high speed for about 5 minutes, stopping once to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Reduce the speed to low and slowly add instant coffee and the sugar little by little waiting until it is mostly incorporated before adding more.
- Once all of the powdered sugar has been added, scrape the sides of the bowl, add the cold coffee and increase the speed to medium-high and whip until fluffy for about 2 minutes. If needed add more cold coffee.
- Frost the cupcakes and enjoy!
Sending love your way,