I wish every-time I plan something it immediately gets checked on my to-do list.
I’ve been meaning to bake along with my wonderful friend Lora aka Cake Duchess pretty much since she started the #TwelveLoaves.
But you know how it is, life gets in the way, other recipes get prettier pictures, the dateline is over.
If I keep rambling more this dateline is going to be over too. I mean, in a blink of an eye it’s going to be October and the monthly theme changes.
If you don’t know what #TwelveLoaves is let me explain : it’s a monthly bake along blog hop, started by my friend Lora and hosted along with Barbara at Creative Culinary and Jamie at Life’s a Feast. For September the theme was : cheese bread
When I saw her pull-apart cheese bread my mind immediately went to my pull-apart cheese bread which is one of the top 5 most viewed and shared recipe on the blog. Thank you <3
If you read my blog for a while then you probably know I’m no stranger when it comes to adding cheese to bread dough. Here are previous cheesy breads
I’ve made these cottage cheese dinner rolls over the weekend and they were gone in no time.
The idea started from the butter buns recipe I shared last year but this time I wanted to add some cheese to them. My first thought was creamy mascarpone cheese but always forgot to pick it from the store. Since cottage cheese is always present in my fridge I thought why not?
So I did it. And everyone was happy.
They are soft, fluffy, slightly salty from the cheese with a buttery crust. Definitely will be making these over and over again.
Cottage cheese whole wheat dinner rolls - soft, light and fluffy buttery dinner rolls
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) whole wheat flour
- 1 envelope Red Star Platinum yeast
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) lukewarm water
- 1 cup (240 ml) cottage cheese
- 4 tbsp (56 grams) melted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cup (360 grams) whole wheat flour
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp melted butter (optional)
- In a mixing bowl add 1/2 cup flour, yeast and 1/2 cup lukewarm water. Stir and let few minutes until the mixtures gets a spongy consistency and bubbles appear at the surface.
- Add the cottage cheese, 4 tbsp melted butter and salt.
- Slowly add the remaining 3 cups of flour.
- Depending on how wet/dry is your cottage cheese you may have to add some more water until the dough comes clean from the sides of the bowl and is elastic. Mine required 3 more tablespoons of water.
- Take the dough out of the mixing bowl and place it in a greased bowl. Leave to rest until double in volume.
- When the dough is risen, divide it into 16 small balls.
- Arrange them in a baking dish. I used my trusty cast iron pan.
- Leave to rise again for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the oven to 400 F.
- Bake the dinner rolls for 20-25 minutes (if using a cast iron bake for 20 minutes) or until light brown and the smell of fresh baked bread takes over your kitchen.
- As soon as you take them out of the oven, brush the dinner rolls with melted butter and enjoy!
Sending love your way,