Do you know what day is today?
I know it’s Thursday, but it’s the first Thursday from the 12 weeks of Christmas Treats Blog Hop, started by Brenda of Meal Planning Magic . If you’d like to join us, a handful of bloggers, please visit Brenda’s blog for details.
I remember seeing the blog hope last year and wanted to join but by the time I get myself together Christmas was few days away and the blog hop was over.
This year I jumped with joy when I heard Brenda is going to host it again.
Starting today, for the next 12 weeks I’ll do my best to bring you a Christmas treat.
Like these Fudgy Brownies with Candy Cane Frosting I made few days ago for a play-date.
I think coming up with a candy cane treat in September was as challenging as taking pictures of it. Somehow I could not get rid of the blueish/grayish hues in the photos.
But don’t let that stop you, these Fudgy Brownies with Candy Cane Frosting are so amazing they were almost all gone before I had a change to do a photo-session.
I adapted the recipe from Better Homes and Gardens The ultimate Cookie Book.
For the fudgy brownie I used the 4 egg whites I had leftover from the ricotta tart I shared the other day instead of 2 eggs, but you can use whole eggs if you prefer.
I used semi-sweet chocolate and reduced the sugar quantity by 1/4 cup. If you are using bittersweet chocolate you can go ahead and add the extra 1/4 cup of sugar.
For a richer chocolate taste I substituted some flour with cocoa powder.
For the frosting I used half and half all the way, added few drops of peppermint extract, mixed some red coloring in and sprinkled some crushed candy cane on top.
Rich chocolate-y brownie topped with peppermint flavored candy cane frosting
- 1 cup (226 grams) butter
- 4 oz (113 grams) semisweet chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 3/4 cup (350 grams) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup (90 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (20 grams) cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) room temperature butter
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) half-and-half
- 4 cups (480 grams) powder sugar
- few drops peppermint extract
- crusted candy-cane
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a 13X9 baking pan with parchment paper (do not skip this step of you can't remove the brownies from the pan).
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter and chocolate. When melted pour it into the mixing bowl and with the paddle attachment on, stir on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Add the sugar and mix for 3 more minutes at high speed. By now the mixture should not be hot anymore. if it is still hot stir some more until warn to the touch.
- Add the eggs and egg whites and mix until combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and slowly add the flour and cocoa powder.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl add the butter and half and half. With the whisk attachment on whip for 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the powder sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- In the end add the peppermint extract.
- Spoon 3/4 of the frosting on top of the brownie.
- Add 1-2 drops (depending on how red/pink you like) of red food coloring to the remaining frosting, mix well and with a wooden skewer swirl it in the white frosting.
- Sprinkle some crushed candy cane on top.
- Cut into bars and enjoy!
Sending love your way,
Linking this recipe to my friend Joan’s Thursday’s treasures party.