One mixing bowl and one casserole are needed to make this cheesy zucchini, bacon and rice casserole. Make it ahead of time and bake it just before dinner. It happens every summer. Zucchini make their way in my farmer’s market basket saturday after saturday. Although I have a couple of favorite recipes, each week I’m looking for new ideas to use zucchini. One would think I should stop buying them but I don’t. I love zucchini dishes and so does my family.
A quick look around the blog and only this summer you’ll find 3 other recipes using zucchini
What I love about this zucchini rice casserole is that there’s no need to precook the rice or salt the zucchini and wait for the salt to draw the moisture out. I don’t know about you, but for me it’s a huge time-saver!
Place all the ingredients in a bowl, give it a good stir, spoon in the casserole and bake for 1 hour. Dinner is served!
Don’t forget to enter here for a chance to win a bacon cookbook, as part of #baconmonth, an event organized by Julie of White lights on Wednesday I’ve been making this zucchini rice casserole for years now. Each time I twist it. I add something, I leave something out. It’s one of my daughter’s favorites. In fact, every time she seems me buying zucchini asks if I’m making the zucchini pie she loves the most. Yup, she’s talking about this casserole and yes, she’s the same daughter that keeps reminding me every time I add a few leaves of spinach to smoothies she’s allergic to anything green. But that’s a story for another time.
Today we focus on how quick and easy is this rice casserole. It’s the perfect side dish, or even main dish and it’s definitely a crown pleaser!
Start by lightly beating the eggs with olive oil and mixing them with the cottage cheese and a good aged cheddar cheese. Once the wet ingredients are mixed, stir in the zucchini, rice and bacon. Optional, some minced garlic. At this point, you can either cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until dinner time or bake it in a hot oven. I have tried mixing other vegetables into this cheesy rice casserole, but I have to say I prefer zucchini. It keeps the casserole moist and love the little green flecks of color you get in every bite.
You’ll know when the casserole is done. The smell of crispy bacon wafting from the oven, the golden brown top are signs it’s time to dig in.
One mixing bowl and one casserole are needed to make this cheesy zucchini, bacon and rice casserole. Make it ahead of time and bake it just before dinner.
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- 4 oz shredded aged cheddar cheese
- 1 lb. shredded zucchini (do not drain the excess moisture)
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 4-6 slices cooked bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 350F. Grease a 2 1/2 quart casserole with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl lightly beat the eggs with the olive oil. Stir in the cottage cheese and cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the shredded zucchini, rice, bacon pieces and minced garlic. Stir until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared casserole.
- At this point, you either cover and refrigerate until dinner time or bake immediately.
- Place the casserole in the hot oven and bake, uncovered for 55 to 60 minutes or until the casserole is puffed and the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, let sit for 5 minutes before serving.